Sutshekhar Ras is an Ayurvedic Rasa preparation, it is described in Yoga Ratnakar for Amlapitta (hyperacidity) Rogdhikar1Yogaratnakar, Amlapitta Chikitsa. Apart from Amlapitta (hyperacidity), this medicine has been stated to be useful in diseases like Gulma (Abdominal Lump), abdominal burning, diarrhea, headache, etc.
In Rasashastra, Sutshekhar Ras is described under Kharliya Rasayana. Kharliya Rasayana means the drugs which are prepared by trituration in Khalva Yantra.
The first description of Sutshekhara Ras is found in Raschintamani. Apart from this, various formulations are described in the name of Sutshekhar Ras Aushadhi in many classics like Yogaratnakar, Rasatantrasar, and Bhaisjayaratnavali.
In Brihat Nighantu Ratnakar it is described by the name Surya Shekhar. This medicine is mentioned in Bhaisjaya Ratnavali by the name Sitari Ras. Presently Sutshekhar Ras medicine refers to Sutshekhar Ras described in Yoga Ratnakar2Sharma, Karunanidhi & Kumar, Sanjay & Paul, Vd & Swami, Kanchan & Rajput, Dhirajsingh. (2019). Critical Review Of Sootashekhara Rasa.
Ayurveda Saarsangraha describes two formulations of Suratshekhar Ras, which are as follows:
- Sutshekhar Ras with gold.
- and Sutshekhar Ras without gold.
The reference of Sutshekhara Rasa (without gold) is taken from the Siddha Yoga Compendium. In which the medicine has been made gold-free by removing the golden ashes.
Sutshekhara Ras (without gold) is somewhat cheaper than the one containing gold and both are described as equally effective in Ayurveda Saar Sangrah.
At present both Sutshekhar Ras with gold and Sutshekhar Ras without gold are prevalent. In Ayurveda Saar Sangrah, both Rasa preparations are stated to be equally effective.
Sutshekhar Ras Ingredients
According to Yoga Ratnakar, Sutashekhara Rasa contains a total of 18 constituents including Bhavana Dravya (i.e. Bhringaraja Swarasa). All the constituent substances are taken in equal parts.
- Shuddh Paarad (purified mercury)
- Shuddh Gandhak (sulfur)
- Shuddh Tankan (Borax)
- Svarna Bhasma (Gold ashes)
- Tamra Bhasma (Cuprum)
- Shankh Bhasm (Turbinella pyrum)
- Shuddh Vatsanaabh (Aconitum ferox)
- Shuddh dhatura (Datura metal)
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Dalchini/tvak (Cinnamomum zeylanicum)
- Tejapatr (Cinnamomnm tamala)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Nagakeshar (Mesua ferrea)
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos)
- Kachoora (Curcuma zedoaria)
- Bhrngaraaj Svarasa (Eclipta alba) – Used as a Bhavana Dravya.
As per the Siddha Yog Sangraha, Rajat Bhasma has been taken as the ingredient in place of Shuddha Vatsanabha (Aconitum ferox).
Sutshekhara Ras (without gold) which is described in the Ayurveda Saar Sangrah is referred from the “Siddhi Yog Sangrah”. In which Swarna Bhasma and Vatsanabha have been removed.
Method of Preparation
Sootshekhar Rasa is prepared by the “Kharliya Rasayan manufacturing process”. First of all, fine Kajjali is prepared by taking pure mercury and pure sulfur in the Khalva Yantra. After this, a mixture is prepared by grinding all the other ingredients.
Now, the mixture of all the components is ground in Kharal for 21 days by giving “Bhavana” of Bhringraj Swaras. And finally 2-2 ratti ie 250 mg tablets are made from the obtained medicinal mixture.
The preparation obtained in this way is called Sutshekhar Ras.
Sutshekhar Ras Shloka:
शुद्धं सूतं मृत स्वर्णं टंकणं वत्सनागकम् ।– Yogratnakar, Amlapitta Chikitsa
व्योषमुन्मत्तबीजं च गन्धकं ताम्रभस्मकम् ।। १॥
चतु्र्जातं शंखभस्म बिल्वमज्जा कचोरकम् ।
सर्व सम॑ क्षिपेत्खल्वे मर्द्यं भृङ्गरसैर्दिनम् ।।२॥॥
गुञ्जामात्रां वटीं कृत्वा द्विगुञ्जे मधुसर्पिषी ।
भक्षयेदम्लपित्तघ्नो वान्तिशूलामयापह: ।।३॥।
पञ्च गुल्मान्पञ्च कासाग्रहण्यामयनाशनः ।
त्रिदोषोत्थातिसारघ्नः श्वासमन्दाग्निनाशन: ।।४॥।
उग्रहिक्कामुदावर्त देहयाप्यगदापह: ।
मण्डलान्नात्र संदेह: सर्वरोगहरः परः ।।
राजयक्ष्महर: साक्षाद्रसो5यं सूतशेखर: ।।५।॥।
Sutshekhar Ras Uses and Indications
Sutshekhar Ras Gold Uses:
- Amlapitta (hyperacidity/GERD)
- Headache and migraine headache
- Gulma (Abdominal Lump)
- Sangragani or Grahani Roga (malabsorption syndrome/IBS)
- Atisara (diarrhea)
- Mandagni (digestive impairment)
- Shula hara (relives pain and burning)
- Bhrama (Confusion)
- Hrud daha (chest and abdominal burning)
- Vamana (vomiting)
- Shvas Roga (dyspnoea)
- Rajyakshama (tuberculosis)
- Dry cough
- Abdominal distension
Apart from these, Sutshekhar Ras is effectively used for Reflux disorders, indigestion, primary dysmenorrhea, fever, sore throat, peptic ulcer, gastritis, convulsions, etc.
Sutshekhar Ras dose and how to take
- 125 to 250 mg or 1 to 2 tablets in the morning or evening before or after food.
- Anupana (adjuvants): Sutshekhar Rasa is more effective when taken with Madhu (Honey), Sarpi (Ghee), Sherbet, or lukewarm water.
- Take this medicine only under the guidance of the doctor. Self-administration of the drug is not recommended.
Sutshekhar Ras Benefits and Uses
Sutshekhar Ras is effectively used in diseases like hyperacidity, indigestion, abdominal pain and burning sensation, heartburn, GERD, acid reflux, flatulence, diarrhea, etc.
The main function of Sutshekhar Ras is Pitta Shaman, the constituents of Sutshekhar Ras have the properties of Tikta, Kashaya, and Madhur Rasa which are Pitta Shamak (pacifying), which help in neutralizing the acidic nature of Pitta Dosha.
It relieves the symptoms of acidity by pacifying vitiated pitta dosha with its Tikta, Kashaya, and Madhura (sweet) properties.
Beneficial in Amlapitta (hyperacidity)
In Ayurveda, Amlapitta is defined as increased Amlbhav (Acidic nature) of pitta due to Virudh Ahara (unhealthy lifestyle) which results in Mandagni (weak digestive fire) and Ama formation (undigested food showing toxic effects).
Amlapitta can be correlated with hyperacidity, and GERD in modern. Sutshekhar Rasa acts on pitta dosha and reduces the symptoms of Amlapitta.
As it contains Kashay, Madhur, and Tikta rasa which are pitta pacifying which results in Pitta Saman.
This drug contains ingredients like Dhatura, Tankan, Shankha Bhasm, and Louha Bhasma which help in balancing the pH of the stomach3Kumar, Ajay & Singhal, Tina. (2018). SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION OF MODE OF ACTION OF SUTSHEKHAR RAS IN AMLAPITTA WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO ACID PEPTIC DISORDERS: A REVIEW. International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy. 9. 47-49. 10.7897/2277-4343.095154.
So it is beneficial not only in Amlapitta but also in other diseases like Gulma, Atisara, Daha rogas, and other pitta-predominant disorders4PROBABLE MODE OF ACTION OF SUTSHEKHAR RASA– A CRITICAL REVIEW, Vd. Sujata J. Laddha*, Vd. Vishal Sureka and Vd. Pradnya S. Swan.
Beneficial in anorexia and dyspepsia
Sutshekhar rasa has the properties of Aganidipan and Aampachan which correct the vitiated pitta and Mandagni which results in improving the appetite and digestive functions.
Apart from this, it acts as a “Vrana Ropana” (wound healing) in peptic ulcers, gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining), stomatitis (inflammation of the inner part of the mouth), etc.
Beneficial in headache and migraine headache
Headache, sleeplessness, burning sensation, and excessive thirst are common symptoms of an aggravated (worsened) state of pitta dosha.
Sutshekhara Ras is given along with Chandraputi Pravala and Giloy Sattva for symptoms like headache, dizziness, sleeplessness, and excessive thirst due to the vitiation of Pitta5Ayurved Sarsangraha, Rasa Rasayana Prakarana, Sutshekhar Rasa No. 1 (with gold) .
Beneficial primary dysmenorrhea
Sutshekhar Ras is beneficial in very light menstruation. It is also beneficial for recurrent pain in the lower abdomen during menstruation (primary dysmenorrhea), headache, and weakness associated with menstruation. Thus it is beneficial in primary dysmenorrhea.
Kamdudha ras vs Sutshekhar
Kamdudha Ras is purely a herbal preparation whereas Sutshekhar Ras contains herbal ingredients as well as components of metallic origin like- Loha Bhasma and mineral origin like Shankha Bhasma.
Kamadudha rasa is usually used in the initial (acute) stage of Amla pitta while Sutshekhara rasa is used in the chronic stage when there are symptoms of Ama formation and pain.
Generally, medicines containing metallic ingredients (mostly Rasa Preparation) like Sutshekhar Ras are not given in kidney impairment. When necessary, is given only under strict medical supervision.
Sutshekhar Ras Side effects
- The side effects associated with the use of Sutshekhar Ras are unknown. However, this medicine should be used only under the doctor’s prescription.
- This medicine is well tolerated by most people but it is advised not to use this medicine for a long time.
- Self-medication and overdosage can prove unhealthy.
- You should avoid this medicine if you have kidney impairment. In such cases, alternatives like Kamdudha Ras can be provided which is a complete herbal preparation.
- The use of this medicine should be avoided in pregnancy and children.
- 1Yogaratnakar, Amlapitta Chikitsa
- 2Sharma, Karunanidhi & Kumar, Sanjay & Paul, Vd & Swami, Kanchan & Rajput, Dhirajsingh. (2019). Critical Review Of Sootashekhara Rasa
- 3Kumar, Ajay & Singhal, Tina. (2018). SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION OF MODE OF ACTION OF SUTSHEKHAR RAS IN AMLAPITTA WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO ACID PEPTIC DISORDERS: A REVIEW. International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy. 9. 47-49. 10.7897/2277-4343.095154
- 4PROBABLE MODE OF ACTION OF SUTSHEKHAR RASA– A CRITICAL REVIEW, Vd. Sujata J. Laddha*, Vd. Vishal Sureka and Vd. Pradnya S. Swan
- 5Ayurved Sarsangraha, Rasa Rasayana Prakarana, Sutshekhar Rasa No. 1 (with gold)