Nowadays, cardiovascular disorders like high blood pressure, cholesterol have become the most prevalent lifestyle disorders. And it is now widely recognized as the most common risk factor for life-threatening heart diseases. Mukta Vati, an Ayurvedic formulation, appears to be an effective solution to such disorders.
Although modern treatment strategies help manage most of such disorders, their long-term results are not adequate, and they are also not well tolerated. Therefore, the world is now looking to Ayurveda to find a solution to such prevalent lifestyle disorders.
What is Mukta Vati?
Mukta Vati is an Ayurvedic herbo mineral formulation mainly administered to manage cardiovascular disorders like high blood pressure, Cholesterol, anxiety, and stress. Along with treating high blood pressure, it treats chest pain and headaches.
Mukta Vati mainly contains plant extracts from Arjuna, Ashwagandha, Guduchi, and Brahmi, known for their beneficial antioxidant, cardioprotective, antidepressant, and antihypertensive properties.
Mukta Vati Ingredients
- Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) is an ancient cardiovascular drug utilized to treat cardiovascular conditions like angina, hypertension, and dyslipidemia.
- Shankhapushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis) helps induces calmness, promotes good sleep, eases nervousness, stress, mental exhaustion caused by various degrees of tension. It is even mentioned in Ayurvedic text to use the drug as a brain tonic. It has exhibited considerable hypotensive effects in Clinical studies.
- Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia serpentina)- It is a proven ayurvedic drug effective in managing high blood pressure With No serious adverse outcomes. It has exhibited significant results in relieving insomnia and anxiety.
- Ugra Gandha or Vacha (Acorus calamus)- It balances Vata and Kapha doshas and is beneficial in neurological and metabolic conditions.
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) is known for its anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, and anti-diabetic effects. It balances our Tridoshas and is used in Ayurveda to treat fever, jaundice, diarrhoea, cancer, pain, asthma, skin diseases, and eye disorders.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is an essential rejuvenating herb used as a “Rasayana” in Ayurvedic medicine. It has aphrodisiac and rejuvenating effects. In addition, it produces relaxation and relieves general debility, anxiety, and stress.
- Jyotishmati (Celastrus paniculatus)- It has important hypolipidemic and antioxidant properties. It balances Vata and Kapha. In Ayurveda, it is used for mental ailments.
- Gaajwan (Onosma bracteatum)- It calms Vata and Pitta dosha and is helpful for the heart.
- Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) is used as a Medhya Rasayana (nootropic) to treat mental ailments. Occasionally Mandukaparni (Centella Asiatica) is utilized as an alternate for Brahmi.
- Pushkaramula (Inula racemosa)- It pacifies Vata and Kapha doshas and is indicated in heart and respiratory ailments. It has been studied for its beta-blocking activity in recent studies and has exhibited significant cardioprotective activities.
- Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi)- Improves memory and is more useful in cognitive and learning disorders such as amnesia and dyslexia.
- Lavandula stoechas- It possesses antioxidant, analgesic, and sedative effects and is helpful in anxiety and insomnia and enhances sleep quality.
- Mukta Pisti- Used to lower high blood pressure and other heart ailments.
Mukta Vati Uses, Benefits,
Mukta Vati comes with potent herbs with antihypertensive, antidepressant, and tranquillizing characteristics. It calms the mind, relieves stress, anxiety, insomnia, and lowers elevated blood pressure.
Lowers high blood pressure (hypertension)
Mukta Vati contains powerful Ayurvedic herbs like Sarpagandha Brahmi, which are already known to have antihypertensive properties due to their antioxidant effect. Thus high blood pressure can be prevented by the use of Mukta Vati.
A recent scientific study evaluated Mukta Vati’s antihypertensive activity and concluded that Mukta Vati exerts an antihypertensive effect in hypertensive individuals.
Alleviates Stress and Anxiety
Mukta Vati contains Rasayana herbs Like Sarpgandha, Brahmi, Shankhpushpi, Jatamansi, and Aswagandha, which are considered powerful brain tonics that causes calmness, bring good sleep, relieve nervousness, stress, mental exhaustion caused by different degrees of pressure. In addition to these, it helps balance the vitiated Tridoshas.
Manages Heart Disease
Mukta Vati contains beneficial antioxidants and hypolipidemic properties that help manage high cholesterol and prevents further heart disease. Besides this, it has Arjuna, which is considered Hridya (cardiac tonic). It reduces cholesterol, chest pain related to the heart. Additionally, Arjuna also helps lower blood pressure.
I have already discussed in-depth the incredible benefits of Arjuna in heart diseases.
Mukta Vati dosage
- Generally, 1 to 2 tablets are administered before breakfast and dinner. An ayurvedic physician may issue an appropriate dose per your blood pressure in mm of hg.
- Adjuvants (co drinks)- lukewarm water/milk/coconut water
- If your blood pressure is not controlled, your doctor may increase the dose.
- You should take it under medical supervision.
Can Mukta Vati be taken with allopathic medicine?
Before taking Ayurvedic and allopathic medicines together, you should consult your doctor because some ayurvedic medicine may interact with allopathic medicines. Your doctor will suggest whether you should take it with allopathic medicine or not.
Mukta Vati side effects
- No serious adverse outcomes have been reported. Most people tolerate it well.
- Positive effects outweigh its adverse effects; also, it is not habit-forming.
- As far as side effects are concerned, nasal congestion was the most commonly reported side effect, while lethargy and sedation were less common. This effect is maybe due to reserpine Alkaloids found in the Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia serpentina).
- It is advised for pregnant women to consult a doctor before taking this medication for high blood pressure.
dos and don’ts
- Avoid stress as it increases blood pressure, which is not suitable for heart health.
- Performing mind-body exercises like yoga may help deal with these problems.
- In addition, lowering salt intake will help manage high BP.
Research and validation
Research on the Antihypertensive property of MuktaVati in Deoxycorticosterone Acetate salt-induced Hypertension in Rats figured that MuktaVati 10mg/kg for six weeks significantly prevented an increase in blood pressure. It is the first scientific study that evaluated the antihypertensive activity of the Mukta Vati.