Mahanarayan Oil is a medicinal Ayurvedic oil that is described in Bhaishajyaratnavali Chapter 26 Vatavyadhi Chikitsa.
This oil is mainly used in Vata Vyadhi (diseases caused by the aggravation of Vata ) such as joint pain, muscle pain, Sandhi Vata (osteoarthritis), arthritis, Gridhrasi (sciatica), Manyastambha (Torticollis), Hanustambha (lockjaw), etc.
Apart from these, it is effective in all types of arthritis disorders.
Mahanarayan oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic properties which help reduces joint pain and swelling while also providing body strength1Kumar, Satyendra & Madaan, Alka & Verma, Ritu & Gupta, Arun & Jatavallabhula, Sastry. (2014). In vitro anti-inflammatory effects of Mahanarayan oil formulations using dendritic cells based assay. Annals of Phytomedicine. 3. 40-45..
Mahanarayan oil is used both topically and internally in Ayurveda. Externally, Mahanarayan oil is used for abhyanga (massage), Snehana karma (previous to Swedana karma), and Purva Karma (prior to panchakarma).
Massage and internal application of Mahanarayan oil are also beneficial in all kinds of arthritis. In one case study, Mahanarayan oil significantly improved neurological depletion (a consequence of Vata vitiation) caused by spinal cord injury2Rastogi S. Rehabilitative potential of Ayurveda for neurological deficits caused by traumatic spinal cord injury. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2014 Jan;5(1):56-9. doi: 10.4103/0975-9476.128868. PMID: 24812477; PMCID: PMC4012364..
Sesame oil, the basic oil, is used to cook 56 various herbs to prepare Mahanarayan oil.
Mahanarayan oil is Vatanashak, vitalizing, cures head ailments, and eliminates the symptoms of aging.
Mahanarayan Oil ingredients (contents)
Mahanarayan oil contains Sesame oil along with 56 herbs like Bilva, Ashwagandha, Bala, Punarnava, Meda, and Daru Haldi. In some cases, turmeric is used as a substitute for saffron.
The following are the ingredients of Mahanarayan oil mentioned in Bhaishajya Ratnavali:
- Sesame oil
- pure water
- goat or cow milk
- Shatavari (Asparagus Racemosus) juice
|Paribhadra (Farhad)||Erythrina Variegata|
|Agnimanth (Arni)||Premna serratifolia|
|Patla root||Stereospermum Suaveolens|
|Kalka (Paste) Ingredients||Botanical name|
|Deodar (Cedar)||Cedrus Deodara|
|Kooth||Saussurea Lappa (indian costus)|
|Prishniparni (Pithvan)||Uraria Picta|
|Sendha namak (Rock salt)||Rock Salt (Halite)|
|Jatamansi (Balchhar)||Nardostachys Jatamansi|
|Red sandalwood||Pterocarpus Santalinus (Red Sandalwood)|
|Cardamom||Elettaria Cardamomum (Cardamom)|
|Manjistha (Madar, Majith)||Rubia Cordifolia|
|Mulethi (Liquorice)||Glycyrrhiza Glabra|
|Tagar||Valeriana Wallichii (Valeriana jatamansi)|
|Nagarmotha (Motha)||Cyperus Rotundus|
|Tejpatra (Bay leaf)||Cinnamomum Tamala (Indian Bay Leaf)|
|Ashtawarga plants||Botanical name|
|Mahameda||Polygonatum Verticillatum Allioni|
|Vriddhi||Habenaria intermedia D|
|Gathivan (Gandhiparni)||Clerodendrum Infortunatum|
|White Punarnava||Boerhavia Erecta|
|Chorak||Angelica glauca Edgew|
|Kapoor (camphor)||Cinnamomum camphor|
|Kesar (Saffron)||Crocus Sativus (Saffron)|
Qualities of Maha Narayan Oil Acc to Ayurveda
- Rasa (taste) — bitter, pungent
- Guna (quality) — light, balsamic
- Veerya(potency) — Ushna (hot)
- Vipaka (effect post digestion) — Katu
- Doshaghanta (effect on dosha) — Vata-Kapha pacifying
Mahanarayan Oil method of preparation
Mahanarayan oil is prepared by cooking 56 different herbs in sesame oil, which serves as the base oil.
How to make Mahanarayan oil?
According to Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Mahanarayan oil is prepared as follows:
- First of all Bilva bark, Ashwagandha, Badi Kateri, etc are taken in equal quantities individually (i.e. 80 tolas). They are cooked in 8 Drona water. After cooking, when two Drona of water remains, then it is taken out and filtered.
- Along with the obtained Kwath (decoction), 2 Aadhak (16 seers) Sesame oil, 2 Aadhak goat or cow’s milk, and 2 Aadhak Shatavari juice, and equal quantities each (i.e 8 tolas) of Kalka of Ashtavarga herbs and other herbs are cooked.
- After it has been cooked thoroughly, grind camphor, saffron, and musk in equal parts each (i.e four tolas) and mix finely. The oil thus obtained is called Mahanarayan oil.
It has the properties of Prajasthapana, Rasayana, Balya (vitalizing), and Brihana (nourishing), which provide strength to the body.
Mahanarayan Oil Uses and Indications
The following diseases are treated with Mahanarayan oil.
- Vata Vyadhi such as arthritis.
- Sandhigata Vata (osteoarthritis).
- Vatarakta (gouty arthritis).
- Gridhrasi (sciatica).
- Kyphosis (forward curvature of the back).
- Ardita (facial paralysis).
- Unmada (mania)
- Paralysis such as paraplegia (paralysis of the lower part of the body).
- Kampvata (Parkinson’s disease)
- Manyastambha (Torticollis).
- Hanustambha (lockjaw)
- Kantha Roga (throat disorders)
- Disease related to the head such as headache.
- Physical disability
- Dantashula (toothache)
- Jihva Stambh (glossal palsy)
- emaciation of Indriyas.
- Veerya Kshaya (Oligospermia)
- Badhirya (deafness)
- Stree Bandhyata (female infertility)
- Emaciated due to fever)
- Anindra (Insomnia)
- Geriatric disorders (age-related diseases)
- For ligament injury, bone fracture and to strengthen joints and muscles.
- and all types of arthritis and neurological disorders.
Mahanarayan Oil benefits
Mahanarayan oil is an Ayurvedic oil derived from various herbs. Because some herbs are extremely rare, other herbs are used as substitutes.
Aside from these, Maha Narayan oil contains Prajasthapana, Rasayana, Balya, and Brihan properties, all of which help to strengthen the body. It is a Vata destroyer, hot and beneficial to the skin, and it is used to treat all types of Vata diseases.
It is usually used for massage, although it can also be consumed internally.
In Ayurveda, it is used in different types of therapy like Panchakarma Chikitsa, Anuvasan Basti, Matra Basti, Nasya Karma, Snehan Swedan, Massage, etc. It strengthens the joints, reduces inflammation, and provides pain relief.
Daily massage with Mahanarayan oil relaxes the muscles, relieves fatigue, and provides relief from arthritis.
Mahanarayan Oil for Sciatica and back pain
Sciatica is a condition that occurs due to injury or compression of the sciatic nerve resulting in pain and numbness in the back and legs. It is referred to as Gridhrasi in Ayurveda and is a Vataj illness.
Gridhrasi (sciatica) is a painful condition that makes it difficult for the sufferer to walk and interferes with daily activities.
Being a Vata condition, Gridhrasi responds quite well to Maha Narayan oil treatment. In a recent clinical study, the administration of Katibasti by Maha Narayan oil and the oral usage of Mahavat Vidhwansan Ras have both been shown to be highly efficient in totally curing the symptoms of Gridhrasi3Goswami, D. IMPACT OF ORAL ADMINISTRATION OF MAHAVATAVIDHWANSAN RASA ALONG WITH MAHANARAYAN TAILA KATIBASTI IN GRIDHRASI: A CASE REPORT. Int J Ayu Pharm Res 2015, 2..
Treats Sandhigata Vata (Osteoarthritis)
Mahanarayan oil is mostly used to treat arthritis. It possesses Vata pacifying, anti-inflammatory, and anti-arthritic characteristics that reduce inflammation of bone and joints and provide relief from osteoarthritis, arthritis (joint pain), and gouty arthritis.
It has a soothing effect on the body. Its Balya (strengthening) and Brihan (nourishing) action strengthen muscles, bones, and joints.
Benefits for Insomnia (sleeplessness)
Massaging Mahanarayan oil on the head cures disorders like insomnia, headache, migraine, depression and stress. A recent study found that giving Matra Basti by Maha Narayan oil to people suffering from insomnia delivered substantial results4Gupta H, et al. Efficacy of Mahanarayana Taila Matra Basti in Primary Insomnia (Anidra)-An Analytical Review. Nat Ayurvedic Med 2021, 5(4): 000332..
Mahanarayan Oil how to use
- Internal use – 3-5 ml or as prescribed by an Ayurvedic physician.
- External application – After cleaning hands and feet, lukewarm Mahanarayan oil should be massaged on the affected area for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Similarly, massage should be done on all other affected parts as well. Generally in Panchakarma therapy massage is done for 15 to 45 minutes.
Mahanarayan Oil side effects
- There have been no reports of adverse effects from using Mahanarayan oil externally. Internal use, on the other hand, should be done only under physician supervision.
- The majority of people tolerate it well and do not experience any negative side effects.
- Mahanarayan Taila is not recommended to treat Ama Vyadhi, indigestion, disorders of the Kapha, vomiting, etc. The use of this oil with these conditions may have unfavorable outcomes.
- 1Kumar, Satyendra & Madaan, Alka & Verma, Ritu & Gupta, Arun & Jatavallabhula, Sastry. (2014). In vitro anti-inflammatory effects of Mahanarayan oil formulations using dendritic cells based assay. Annals of Phytomedicine. 3. 40-45.
- 2Rastogi S. Rehabilitative potential of Ayurveda for neurological deficits caused by traumatic spinal cord injury. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2014 Jan;5(1):56-9. doi: 10.4103/0975-9476.128868. PMID: 24812477; PMCID: PMC4012364.
- 3Goswami, D. IMPACT OF ORAL ADMINISTRATION OF MAHAVATAVIDHWANSAN RASA ALONG WITH MAHANARAYAN TAILA KATIBASTI IN GRIDHRASI: A CASE REPORT. Int J Ayu Pharm Res 2015, 2.
- 4Gupta H, et al. Efficacy of Mahanarayana Taila Matra Basti in Primary Insomnia (Anidra)-An Analytical Review. Nat Ayurvedic Med 2021, 5(4): 000332.