Rasa preparations in Ayurveda are known for their effectiveness. These medicines enter the subtle sources and pacify the vitiated doshas and cure the disease. Kamdudha Ras is an Ayurvedic Rasa Aushadhi, it is a type of preparation called Kharaliya Rasayana.
Kamdudha Rasa medicine does not contain Parada (mercury) and Gandhak (sulfur), though still it is called Rasa Aushadhi.
It is mainly Pitta Shamak, so it is used in all types of Pittaja disorders. In Ayurveda, Kamdudha Rasa has been described as a Pitta Shamak, Sheetaveeryatmaka (Cold Potency), and Raktastambhak (hemostatic).
Being Sheetaveerya and pitta pacifying, it is primarily used in Pittaja disorders such as Raktapitta, Amlapitta (Hyperacidity), Unmad (mania), Pitta predominant headache, Pittaja and Raktatisara (diarrhea).
Apart from this, its use has also been described for burning and Pittaja jvara.
Its Raktastambhak (coagulant) properties help prevent bleeding thus it is useful in Bleeding disorders such as bleeding from the nose, vaginal bleeding, anal bleeding, and penile bleeding.
In addition to these, it is also used in diseases of urinary disorders such as Retention of Urine, Dysuria, hematuria, etc.
The description of Kamdudha Ras is found in Ayurveda Saar Sangrah and Ras Yoga Sagar.
Types of Kamadudha Ras (Ayurved Sara Samgragha)
Two types of Kamdudha Ras are mentioned in Ayurveda Saar Sangrah
- Kamdudha Ras Ordinary (also known as Kamdudha Ras II)
- Kamdudha Ras Muktayukta (also known as Kamdudha Ras III)
Types of Kamdudha Ras (Rasa Yog Sagar)
In Rasa Yoga Sagar, three types of Kamdudha ras have been described.
- Kamdudha Ras I (First)
- Kamdudha Ras II (Simple)
- Kamdudha Ras III (Mukta yukta)
At present, the use of Kamdudha Ras III (Mukta Yukt) is more popular, which will be described in detail further. It contains more ingredients that have more properties.
Kamdudha Ras content/Ingredients
Kamdudha Ras I (First)
Ingredients: Swarna Gairik (Ochre) and Amla Swaras
Method of preparation
First of all, Swarna Garik (Ochre) is heated on medium flame, after that it is taken in Kharal and 21 Bhavanas of the Amla Swarasa are given. In the end, after drying the obtained mixture Kamdudha Rasaushadhi is obtained.
Kamdudha Ras II (Simple)
- Gaduchi Sattva 1 pala
- Swarnagarik 1 tola
- Abhrak Bhasma 1 tola
Method of preparation
All the above ingredients are taken in the Khalva Yantra and triturated till a fine powder is obtained. In this way, Kamdudha Rasaushadhi is obtained and kept in a safe vessel.
Kamdudha Ras Moti Yukt (Mukta yukta)
- Mukta Bhasma —It is considered Snigdha (Balsemic), Sheetaverya (cold potency), Tridosha Shamak, and pitta pacifier. It increases Jathragni (gastric fire) and is useful in pain, heart disease, respiratory diseases, and anorexia.
- Praval Bhasma — It is considered to be Laghu (light), Sheetaveeryatmak (cold potency), Madhur Vipaka, Tridosha Shamak, and Pitta Pacifying. It is anti-inflammatory, beneficial for the eyes, vitalizing, and useful in Raktapitta (bleeding disorders), eye diseases, etc.
- Mukta Shukti Bhasma — It has Sheetaveery (cold potency) and Madhur Vipaka qualities. It is considered beneficial in Agnideepan (increasing digestive fire), pain, heart disease, breathing, etc.
- Kapardika Bhasma — It is useful in treating Mandagni (low digestive fire) and pain, is beneficial for the eyes, and is a Vata-Kapha Pacifying.
- Shankh Bhasma— It has Sheeta Veerya (cold potency) and Madhur Vipaka effect. It is vitalizing, and analgesic and is beneficial to the eyes.
- Swarna Gairik (Ochre) — It is Sheeta Veerya, Raktastambhak (Hemostatic), and soothes burning eyes. Apart from these, it pacifies pitta and is beneficial in Raktapitta (bleeding disorder), metrorrhagia, fever, itching, oral thrush, etc.
- Gudichi Satva/giloy Satva — Giloy or Guduchi possesses Ushna Veerya and Madhur Vipaka qualities. It is Anuloman and Tridosha Shamak and is considered Rasayana (vitalizing agent). It is blood cleansing and is useful in diseases like fever, diabetes, etc.
Method of Preparation
All the above ingredients are taken in equal quantities in a Khalva Yantra, mixed, and ground until a fine mixture is obtained. In this way, The Kamdudha Rasaushadhi Is obtained.
Dosage and how to take Kamdudha ras
- 1 to 2 Ratti or 125 to 250 mg twice a day after meals with Mishri/Jeera powder/Amalaki Churna/ Ghee or With appropriate Adjuvant or as directed by the Ayurvedic Physician.
- Kamdudha Ras Tablet: 1 to 2 tablets in the morning and evening after meal.
- Kamdudha Ras Tablets/Churna is available from various Ayurvedic Pharmacies.
Kamdudha Ras uses and adjuvants in different diseases
- It is given with Durva Swaras or Sharbat (Cynodon dactylon) or with pomegranate or amla Murabba in Raktapitta (bleeding disorders).
- In Amlapitta Kamdudha Ras is Given along with Sutshekhar Ras, Amla Svaras, or Ghee.
- In Unmada (Mania), Kamdudha Ras is Mixed with Brahmi powder or Sankhapushpi powder and given along with sugar candy.
- For the symptoms of headache and burning sensation, redness of the eyes, amnesia, etc., Kamdudha Ras is given along with butter.
This medicine should be taken only under medical supervision.
Kamdudha Ras Uses and Indications
According to Ayurveda Saar Sangrah, Kamdudha Ras is used in the following diseases:
Kamdudha Ras moti Yukta Uses
- Pitta disorders
- Raktapitta (Bleeding disorders)
- Amlapitta (Hyperacidity/Acid Peptic Disorder)
- Pitta and Raktatisara (Bleeding diarrhea)
- Pittaja Prameha (Diabeties)
- Piles or Hemorrhoids
- Urinary system disorders
- vertigo and fainting
- Brain weakness
- Kshaya Roga (Tuberculosis)
- Whooping cough
- Burning sensation
- Jeerna Jvara (chronic fever)
- Urakshata or Kshatasheena (Chest trauma)
- Bronchial asthma)
- Unmada (Mania)
- Apasmara (Epilepsy)
- Rakta Pradara (Metoragia)
- Weak stomach
- Splenomegali and hepatomegali
- Uradhanga Vyayu, and Confusion
Apart from these, Kamdudha Ras is used for Acid Peptic Disorder, Stomatitis/Aphthus Ulcer1Clinical Trials Of Kamdudha Vati In Mukhapak Nilakshi Pradhan Ayurlog: National Journal of Research in Ayurved Science-2014; 3(1): 1-6, Peptic ulcer, Pradar (Excessive vaginal discharge), Bleeding from the nose, urethra, and rectum.
Besides these, it relieves burning sensations in the palms, eyes, and urine.
Also, it is very effective in burning sensation in the soles and all types of Pittaja disorders.
Kamdudha Ras Uses and Benefits
The main function of Kamdudha Ras is Pitta Shaman. It is anti-inflammatory, Sheetvirya (cold potency), Raktastambhak, and Vranropan (helps in wound healing). Its action strengthens the digestive system and pacifies the aggravated pitta dosha.
It helps correct iron and calcium deficiency, weakness, etc in the body.
It is considered the drug of choice in disorders like hyperacidity, peptic ulcer, stomatitis, gastritis, etc. In addition, it promotes the healing of stomach ulcers and provides relief from pain, bloating, as well as a burning sensation.
Beneficial in Raktapitta (Bleeding Disorders)
Raktapitta is a bleeding disorder caused by vitiation of pitta which results in the vitiation of Rakta. As a consequence, there is the discharge of blood from the upper (mouth, nose) or lower (vagina, anus) routes. Symptoms of Raktapitta are weakness, bleeding, burning sensation, fever, acidity, headache, burning urine, etc.
Kamdudha juice has been considered very beneficial in Raktapitta. Being Sheetaveeryatmaka, it pacifies the Pitta and cures burning sensation and acidity, as well as stops bleeding due to its Raktastambhak (hemostatic properties)2A REVIEW STUDY OF THE ROLE OF KAMDUDHA RAS IN MAHASTROTASA VYADHI *Dr. Vasavi Totawar (Madurwar) and Dr. Mukund Dive and Dr. Sneha Kubde.
In Raktpitta, Kamdudha rasa is given along with Durva Swaras or pomegranate Sharbat or Amla Murabba. It helps in reducing the symptoms quickly.
Beneficial in Amlapitta (Hyperacidity)
Amlapitta (hyperacidity) refers to the excess level of acid in the stomach due to the Vitiated Pitta Dosha. Stomach irritation, sour belching, stomach ulcer, etc. are its symptoms.
Kamdudha Ras is an excellent medicine for Amlapitta (acidity). Being a Pitta pacifying and Sheetaveeryatmak (cold potency), it reduces the acridity of Pitta, as well as cures burning sensation, and ulcers. A modern study also supports its efficacy in Amlapitta3Meenakshi, Khapre, et al. “Effectiveness of Ayurveda treatment in Urdhwaga Amlapitta: A clinical evaluation.” Journal of Ayurveda and integrative medicine 12.1 (2021): 87-92..
It contains Geru which is Pitta Shamak and Stambhak and reduces Pitta secretion. Apart from this, it contains Sudha Varga ingredients which help in neutralizing the increased acid in the stomach.
In acidity, Kamdudha Ras is given with Sutshekhar Ras or amla Swaras or ghee.
Kamdudha Ras uses in Diarrhea
In Rakta And pitta Atisaara, there is an anomaly in the small and large intestines which are manifested by, thin stool mixed with blood. Its symptoms are a burning sensation in the stomach, thirst, and diarrhea with a burning sensation.
In modern it can be co-related to bloody diarrhea.
The Pitta Shamak, Sheetveeryatam, and Raktastambhak action of Kamdudha ras treats Pittaja and Raktaja Atisara (bloody diarrhea) by reducing the movement of the bowel in the intestines.
Useful in Excessive menstrual bleeding (Menorrhagia)
Rakta Pradara which can be co-related to menorrhagia in modern is a condition of excessive and irregular bleeding during menstruation.
The Raktastambhak (hemostatic) property of Kamadudha Ras helps in stopping bleeding therefore it helps in preventing heavy bleeding during menstruation.
Beneficial in Unmaad (manic disorder)
In Pittaj Unmaad (mania), Kamdudha Ras is Mixed with Brahmi powder or Sankhapushpi powder and given along with sugar candy. Along with this, Mahachandanadi oil massage has been prescribed.
Beneficial in Pitta predominant headache
Consuming Kamadudha Ras with butter is considered to be beneficial in the symptoms of headache and burning sensation, redness of eyes, headache caused by sunlight, excessive mental exertion, and aggravation of pitta dosha.
Kamdudha Ras side effects
- There is no significant known harm associated with Kamdudha Ras. In general, it is well absorbed and tolerated by most individuals. However, it is advised to take it only under medical supervision.
- Incorrect dosage or excessive dosage can lead to discomfort as well as adverse effects.
- If you are considering this medicine for children or pregnant women, you should consult your doctor first.
Kamdudha Ras vs Sutshekhar Ras
Kamdudha ras and Sutshekhar ras both are widely used in clinical practice for the treatment of Amlapitta (hyperacidity). Even though Both serve to fulfill the same purpose there is a slight difference in terms of composition and usage.
- Both Kamdudha Ras and Sutshekhar Ras are Kharalia Rasayan. Kamdudha ras does not contain Parad (purified mercury) whereas Sutshekhar Ras contains Parad.
- Kamdudha Ras is used to treat Amlpitta (Hyperacidity) and associated symptoms like burning sensation while Sutshekhar is used for the symptoms of Amlapitta (acidity) presented with Mandagni and Ama formation.
- In simple words, Kamadudha Ras is used in the acute stage and Sutshekhar is used in the more chronic stage.
- 1Clinical Trials Of Kamdudha Vati In Mukhapak Nilakshi Pradhan Ayurlog: National Journal of Research in Ayurved Science-2014; 3(1): 1-6
- 2A REVIEW STUDY OF THE ROLE OF KAMDUDHA RAS IN MAHASTROTASA VYADHI *Dr. Vasavi Totawar (Madurwar) and Dr. Mukund Dive and Dr. Sneha Kubde
- 3Meenakshi, Khapre, et al. “Effectiveness of Ayurveda treatment in Urdhwaga Amlapitta: A clinical evaluation.” Journal of Ayurveda and integrative medicine 12.1 (2021): 87-92.